Machakos County Governor, Dr. Alfred Mutua, has been kicking some serious ass lately…to say the least. With only eleven months of being in office, this man has everyone talking and for all the right reasons. Not only has he made Machakos the envy of every other county, his work ethic is also exemplary.
Governor Mutua’s Government has in this short-term initiated several development projects for Machakos County:
• 40 tractors are already ploughing farms for free together with free seed in subsidized fertilizer in a Food Security Subsidy programme.
• 2 million chicks are being given to the youth in the county.
• From 1st December, 2013, grants (not loans) are being given. Youth-Ksh 15m; Women Ksh20m; the disabled Ksh 20m and Ksh20M to the elderly as a social welfare empowerment Programme.
• 60 roads in 40 wards are being repaired and maintained as from December 10, 2013.
• From January 2014, Ksh. 464M will be used to upgrade 40 Healthcare Centers to Community Hospital standards each with a ward, x-rays lab, mini theatre and maternity.
• 70 ambulances-one per location will be distributed.
• 140 police and specialized vehicles have been launched.
• MachaWood (Machakos Entertainment Centre for Film, Music, Media and the Arts) opened its doors in early January 2014.
• Machakos Forensics and Research Centre started operating January 15, 2014.
• 800 floodlights (mulika mwizi) will be installed in the county between January and March 2014.
• 500 CCTVs have been installed in the county.
Machakos County CCTV cameras to provide 24hrs countywide surveilance.
• Water drilling rigs and excavators are on order and will be on the ground from February 2014 to dig 700 boreholes, 500 dams and water pans together with installation of 300 water tanks in Machakos County.
Moreover, on top of these projects that also include the New Machakos City, the government of Machakos bid to host CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup and promised to have the stadium (which has been known as Jomo Kenyatta Stadium for 40 years) ready in six weeks. Amazingly, within four weeks, terraces, toilets, two beautiful changing rooms for competing teams, CCTVs, public toilets and an amazing pitch-considered the best in the country, was ready.
Player dressing room 1 Machakos stadium
Facilities inside the players changing room
VIP Lounge in the Machakos Stadium
Just so you know, this so-called stadium was just a patch of dry land prior to its facelift. The construction of a stadium from dry dust and grass to a ten thousand (10,000) capacity world-class sports centre has never been done any faster in the African continent. Governor Mutua supervised the construction all the way to ensure international quality standards were met.
A view of the stadium before its upgrade
If you think that to be impressive, just a week ago, Dr. Alfred Mutua was at it again, this time unveiling the most beautiful public park in Africa – Machakos People’s Park. This 35-Acre park which sits by Maruba Dam in Machakos Town, also boasts of Africa’s first and only 5000-seater open-field Amphitheater.
Path ways leading to different sections within the Machakos People’s park.
Breath taking fountain at the Machakos Peoples’ Park
“This park is for the enjoyment, relaxation and meditation by members of the public from Machakos, from Kenya and beyond. The park should at all times be made accessible to all the members of our community, regardless of their backgrounds and economic ability, so that it forever remains the people’s park.” Dr. Alfred Mutua – Governor, Machakos County
Machakos People’s Park Amphitheater before and after
This Park will officially be open to the public this Valentine’s weekend, from Friday February 14th, where people will enjoy a three (3) day entertainment extravaganza. Saturday, 15th and Sunday 16th will be family days. Entertainment will be free featuring great musicians and comedians.
“We have chosen to open the Park over the Valentine’s weekend because we want to uphold Machakos as the city and county of friendship, harmony and yes, LOVE,” said Dr. Mutua at the launch.
2 thoughts on “Africa’s only open-field amphitheater unveiled in Machakos County”
WOW! Absolutely unbelievable! I’m telling you this man will work WONDERS for the Kenyan people. Good for Machakos 🙂 #Mutua4President
Seconded #Mutua4President 🙂 with all that he has done for his county in such a short period, we can only imagine how Machakos will be by the end of his five year term…we definitely needs more Mutuas’ in this country!!!